Spring is in the air and I know most of you are getting ready to do a little spring cleaning. Maybe you’re going to clean out your closet, garage or do some much needed cleaning around the house, so why not do a master cleanse for your body as well. Studies have shown that it is very important to detox your body every 90 days. This ensures your body is getting rid of everything that might build up in your colon causing colon cancer or left over food that just won’t flush out your system.
Dr. Oz has a two-day wonder cleanse so here it goes:
Breakfast: Quinoa with Prunes
Start the day with a bowl of this healthy whole grain. Quinoa contains all nine essential amino acids, making it a complete protein. (Not many cleanses incorporate protein, which can be problematic; if you’re not consuming enough amino acids, your body will begin mining them from your muscle tissue. Muscle loss is, unfortunately, one way that detox dieters lose weight.) Quinoa also provides fiber to bulk up stool, and phosphorus to help stimulate bowel movements. The prunes deliver even more fiber, plus sorbitol, a sugar alcohol with a laxative effect.
Lunch: Revitalizing Fruit Smoothie
Here’s proof that a cleanse can taste fantastic. Blueberries provide antioxidants to neutralize cell-damaging free radicals and contain quercetin, a pigment that may increase the number of enzymes in the liver. The banana’s vitamin B6 helps recharge detoxifying enzymes throughout the body, and ground flaxseed or chia seeds supply additional fiber for healthy elimination (as well as brain-nourishing omega-3s).
This soup is full of good stuff: Fennel may help stimulate the secretion of bile (a fluid that carries waste out of the liver); parsley is believed to act as a diuretic; compounds in garlic, shiitake mushrooms, and cabbage have been found to support liver function; and cayenne pepper may aid lung enzymes. Finish your meal with fermented sauerkraut, which has probiotics that can help break down toxins in the gastrointestinal tract, and apple slices for one last dose of fiber.
Snack: Pineapple-Kale Juice
Enjoy this beverage as often as you like. (I typically recommend two glasses between meals.) Pineapple contains digestive enzymes. Kale is rich in compounds that support enzymes in the liver. And artichoke can improve bile flow.
A Few Pointers
Use these tips to make the most of your two-day cleanse.
1. Drink plenty of water.
2. Aim to get eight hours of sleep a night.
3. Don’t eat after 7 P.M.
4. In the evening, take a warm bath with two cups of Epsom salt dissolved in the water. The salt’s key component, magnesium, supports hundreds of enzymes in the body.
5. Before bed, sip a cup of dandelion tea. It’s been shown to have diuretic properties, which will help flush away toxins in your urine before you sleep.
6. Know that you’ll likely have to use the bathroom quite a bit in the next 48 hours, though your stool should be well-formed, not loose. And since the meal plan doesn’t severely limit your caloric intake, you shouldn’t feel tired or weak.
Read more over at Oprah.com
Latest posts by Meiqua Yushundra (see all)
- Magazine CovHER: China Anne McClain Rolling Out - August 25, 2017
- Joseline Hernandez Quits Love & Hip Hop Atlanta [VIDEO] - July 4, 2017
- Movie TrailHER: Jumanji Welcome To The Jungle - June 30, 2017