Since I was a little girl, I can remember hearing all sorts of CRAZY things about Friday the 13th. I’m not superstitious, but I grew up with a grandmother that was and my hubby is as well.
While growing up, my grandmother would tell us things like “don’t split the pole,” don’t sweep my feet, if I do I have to spit on the broom,” and the craziest one of them all was “don’t let a black cat cross your path.” Really? I’ve never understood where all of the stuff comes from and I strongly believe superstitions only work if you actually believe in them.
I’m not exactly sure where all this hoopla about Friday the 13th came from but it sure has been around for a LONG time. People say it stemmed from religion and others say they’re just urban legends. It has such a huge effect on the world that most high rise buildings omit the 13th floor, most cities don’t have a 13th street and even the airport doesn’t have a 13th aisle on the plane or gate.
Here are 13 of the most common superstitions I’ve heard:
13. Beginner’s luck
I’m not even sure what this means except something about newbies have a tendency to win when they try out something for the first time such as a sport, game or even gambling.
12. Find a penny, pick it up …
I’ve heard people say if you find a penny you should pick it up only if “heads” is facing up. If the penny is on the ground and “tails” is facing up you should leave it or you’ll have bad luck. If you ask me, I’m going to pick up any pennies I see because they add up to be dollars.
11. Don’t walk under that ladder!
I would NEVER walk under a ladder for the simple reason I wouldn’t want it to fall on me. I mean really, who walks under ladders anyway. LOL!
10. Black cats crossing your path
My husband really believes in this one right here, even if it’s not on Friday the 13th. I’ll never forget the time we were riding down a street on the way to our house and he saw a black cat crossing in front of our truck. He literally stopped in the middle of the street and told me to cross my fingers. He then turned around and went another way just so he wouldn’t drive where the cat walked… REALLY? WOW!
9. A rabbit’s foot will bring you luck
I don’t know about you but I don’t want a DEAD rabbits foot in my pocket. I mean really how lucky could a DEAD rabbit’s foot be??? I’m just saying.
8. Bad luck comes in threes
I’ve also heard good things come in threes so I’m not even sure where this came from.
7. Careful with that mirror
I’ve heard if you break a mirror that you will have seven years bad luck. I broke a mirror last year and I’m not claiming that at all.
We all know the story behind the 6′s.
5. Knock on wood
Just the other day I took my truck to get it serviced, the lady in the service department told me to “knock on wood” after telling me that no one has perfected installing coils on an Expedition but so far no one has had to bring their car back since they’ve gotten a new technician. I actually knocked lol!
4. Make a wish on a wishbone
3. Cross your fingers
This is what my hubby tells me to do when he sees a black cat crossing our path. I’ve heard it supposed to be good luck as well. Not sure about that.
2. No umbrellas inside
My grandmother would damn near kill you if you let up an umbrella inside her house. She said it was bad luck. SMH!
1. Friday the 13th
If you’re not scared of Friday the 13th, you should be scared of the word used to describe those who are: friggatriskaidekaphobics. (An alternative, though just as tongue-twisty, word for the fear is “paraskevidekatriaphobia.”)
What are some superstitions you’ve heard???
Incoming search terms:
- name something specific youre afraid will happen to you on friday the 13th
- name something specific you are afraid will happen on friday the 13th
- name something specific your afraid will happen to you on friday the 13th
- name something specific you are afraid will happen to you on friday the 13th
- name something specific you are afraid will happen to you on friday the 13 family feud
- name something specific you think will happen to you on friday the 13th
- name something specific you think will happen to you on friday the 13th family feud
- name something specific you\re afraid will happen on friday the 13th
- name something that can happen to you on Friday the 13
- name something you\re afraid will happen to you on friday the 13th